HNE Health Libraries specialise in the provision of medical and health science information to the staff of Hunter New England Local Health District (HNELHD).
Vision - Linking evidence with practice
HNE Health Libraries' vision is for one HNELHD wide network of health library services providing the best available evidence to inform clinical and corporate decisions; research and education and training so that all health care providers in HNELHD have equal access to the best information for patient care.
HNE Health Libraries are committed to the HNELHD wide delivery of a client-focused, cost-effective, and innovative library information service to improve patient care, teaching, research and professional development across HNELHD.
HNE Health Libraries staff is committed to:
- Equity of access to knowledge and information services for all HNELHD staff wherever they are located
- Services, content and professional expertise that are client focused and accessible where, when and in formats that are convenient to users
- Information content that is timely, accurate, relevant and quality assured
HNE Health Libraries aim to:
- Support HNELHD's priorities for patient care and safety.
- Improve staff access to quality information for decision making, evidence based clinical practice, policy making, research and continuing education.
- Improve the coordination and quality of library services to facilitate consistent services, strategic direction and policy.
- Enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of HNE Library Service.
- Take advantage of technological developments (IT infrastructure, online and digital information content, web services) and shared services (eg. consortia purchasing).
- Contribute to HNELHD's knowledge management strategy.
Access to HNE Health Libraries is available to all HNELHD employees.
Service delivery model
The features of the service delivery model include the continuation of information hubs of specialist expertise in priority locations and comprise:
- Distributed HNELHD wide collection of print and electronic resources.
- Web portal to library services, catalogues, databases and networks within HNELHD and beyond. The portal is to be accessible to all HNELHD staff onsite and remotely.
- Local frontline service points and professional expertise.
- Specialisation that meets local and supports HNELHD wide needs.
- HNELHD wide service level agreements for resource purchasing of electronic resources.
- Professional expertise empowered to deliver services, support training, manage content and be innovative.
- Agreed level of resourcing to ensure access and equity.
- Development of strategic directions.
HNE Health Libraries' service delivery model directly supports the:
- Strategic directions of NSW Health and HNELHD